Lantern Ventures is a fast growing London based trading firm specialising in cryptocurrencies. We use technologies developed in house to identify and execute on trading opportunities arising in cryptocurrency markets worldwide and provide portfolio management and other services to a cryptocurrency hedge fund. Lantern Ventures is a strongly mission-driven organisation, donating 50% of founders profits to highly effective charities.
We are seeking a Senior Finance Associate to join our team. The successful applicant will report to the COO and work closely with the CEO, Head of Trading, and the investor relations team.
As a small company, we will be looking for someone who is comfortable with a wide remit. The role will include day-to-day management of finance processes for both the fund and Lantern Ventures as a company. We are looking for someone who is keen to identify gaps in our processes and suggest pragmatic solutions that fit the company’s size and risk profile. A candidate who supports our mission to fund effective philanthropic activities, thrives in a high-pressure environment and is committed to ongoing professional development will find at Lantern Ventures a team who shares their values and supports their ongoing development.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Oversee day-to-day management of the fund accounting and administration including:
- Act as primary POC to fund administrators for all fund life cycle and investor events (subscriptions, redemptions, closings, drawdowns, equalisations, distributions, structured secondaries, liquidations).
- Provide the fund administrators with monthly data to assist with reconciliation, where not available through APIs.
- Prepare fund expense payments and allocations using the Fund Expense Policy.
- Reconcile and review monthly NAVs prepared by the fund administrators.
- Track the fund’s Total Expense Ratio (TER) and keep the management team up to date with TER expectations.
- Forecast and budget fund returns.
- Coordinate the annual fund audit processes with the fund administrators and the auditors.
- Coordinate the annual tax preparation work with the fund’s administrators and tax preparers, and reconcile the tax calculations.
- Keep the Lantern Ventures Management Committee informed on fund accounting and administration progress and issues.
- Oversee Lantern Ventures’ Corporate Finance processes including:
- Month end processes i.e. accounts payable, accounts receivables, VAT, payroll, accruals and prepayments journal postings.
- Work with the accountants to complete the annual accounts and tax submissions.
- Manage the company’s budget and track budget variance.
- Provide monthly management accounts to the management committee.
- Flag where processes are not working or appropriate to the scale of the company and suggest changes and improvements to them.
- Manage relationships with accountants, auditors and other service providers in the financial space, with the support of the management team.
- Liaise closely with the fund administrators and internal functions to ensure issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner.
Mandatory candidate profile:
- Ideally qualified CPA, ACA, CA, ACCA or equivalent but we will consider part qualified candidates, depending on amount of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience. We think the role is suitable for someone with up to 7 years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with fund accounting, including NAV reports and reconciliation.
Desirable candidate profile:
- Start up/scale up is experience desirable, but a willingness to take on a broad range of responsibilities is also sufficient.
- Experience with US tax preparation.
- Interest in philanthropy.
- Experience in an accounting firm, fund administrator or in house at a hedge fund.
- Knowledge of, or interest in, cryptocurrencies.
Role related skills requirements:
- Strong accounting skills, including the ability to prepare, ananlyse and interpret financial statements.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to investigate discrepancies.
- Strong computer skills, experience using the Google Suite of products, including Gmail, Slides, Sheets, Docs and Drive and the ability to learn new computer systems quickly and in-depth. We are heavy users of Slack. Strong experience using cloud based products is a must, including cloud based accounting software such as Xero.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The ability to function well as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Willingness to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Budgeting experience, including with Xero and reconciliation of accounts.
- A strong knowledge of finance and accounting practices, ideally with experience in a financial services firm.
- Self-motivated, proactive, disciplined, good time-keeping skills and excellent attention to detail.
If this sounds like you, please apply by submitting a CV and cover letter.
- Hybrid working culture with an office in the City of London (near Aldgate tube station).
- Vibrant and warm office life that we nurture and care about sustaining. There's flexibility in how you can structure your day and working week, and we actually aim to work regular full-time hours.
- Salary commensurate with experience; the range is roughly £45-55K + bonus.
- Potential for significant bonus for candidates who exceed expectations, though this is also highly dependent also on fund performance.
- 25 days of annual leave, plus bank holidays.
- Sick leave, carers leave, compassionate leave and parental leave.
- Drinks and some snacks provided in the office.